If you are looking for a budget-type laptop that offers impressive hardware capabilities and build-quality you came to the right place.
Since there are just many laptops out there, I have carefully handpicked some of the best laptops under 400 dollars.
Let’s check them out.
- Best Laptops Under $400
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrap Up
Best Laptops Under $400
Acer has been known for producing some of the best budget laptops, and the Acer Aspire 5 is no difference with a price tag below 400$. It offers the best full HD display and a backlit keyboard for effective productivity. An AMD Ryzen 3 processor well powers this laptop for smooth performance.
The laptop is well built with high-quality plastic that makes it quite resistant to heat. In terms of display, the screen is a 15.6-inch size that provides an impressive viewing angle with a 1920 x 1080 screen resolution. The presence of a comfortable full keyboard and a precision touchpad ensures an effective office productivity task. The Keyboard also comes with backlit features for proper use during low-light conditions.
The presence of a 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD supports the smooth running of software on the laptop. It also uses an AMD Radeon Vega 3 Graphics card to provide a top-notch impressive display. On the whole, this laptop has a battery life that can last up to 8 hours.
– A wide selection of ports.
– Good display view and bright colors.
– Portable design.
– Not suitable for playing high-end games.
– Non-backlit Keyboard.
I have found laptops under the Asus series to be budget-friendly, and the Asus Vivo Book 15 is no different. This laptop boasts of decent quality at a price tag just below 400$. An Intel Core-i3 processor effectively powers it for decent quality performance.
A 15-inch full HD Nano Edge bevel display helps offer a vibrant, impressive view making suitable for entertainment purposes. What’s more, is the fact that this laptop features a comfortable keyboard and super responsive touchpad to help maximize productivity. The presence of a RAM of 8GB storage allows you to make use of the laptop for effective multi-tasking.
Although a storage space of 128GB may seem small, however, it is an SSD storage type that aids fast transfers. The presence of an Intel UHD Graphics card makes this laptop effective for creative design as it can back up programs like Adobe Photoshop. It is well rewarded with ports, along with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities, to boost the power of connectivity. Battery life for the Asus Vivo Book 15 lasts up to 7 hours
– Sturdy build quality.
– Presence of backlit Keyboard with decent key travel.
– A display with a vibrant, impressive view.
– A small storage space.
The Dell Inspiron 3000 is one of the best looking and quality decent laptop in the Dell series. It is well fitted for a reasonable budget as it comes with a price tag below 400 dollars. Speaking of the display, this laptop features a display of 15.6 inches, making it suited for creative/professional work. This screen display shows a quality color combination, and it comes with a bright view.
As a significant advantage, this laptop is powered with a powerful Intel Core-i3 processor with speed up to 3.4GHz that allows the windows OS to operate smoothly. The presence of an 8GB of RAM storage also allows you to open up to 4-5 software without any form of lagging. With an Intel UHD Graphics card, this laptop can play less graphic-intensive games efficiently.
Furthermore, this laptop comes with internal storage up to 1TB, allowing to store massive amounts of files (likes of movies, music, and games. It is well rewarded with enough ports and slots to help boost connectivity. Battery capacity for this laptop also lasts up to 8 hours, which is enough for decent computer tasks.
– Long battery life up to 8 hours.
– Bright display with the right color combination.
– Impressive cooling performance.
– Bulky in size.
– Shallow-like Keyboard.
The HP 15z Professional laptop is the best choice for people who don’t like to carry a bulky laptop around. It is one of the best choices of laptops under a price tag of 400$ with a thin and lightweight design. It comes powered with an AMD A9 processor for smooth performance.
The presence of 8GB RAM allows one to multi-task efficiently without any hindrances. When it comes to storage, the laptop features 128GB SSD for speedy performance and fast storage. The AMD processor of this laptop, coupled with an AMD Radeon graphics card, provides the necessary support for playing some low-end games.
It pays for a deficit of not having a CD-slot with a decent number of ports and slots in enhancing connectivity. It also features a 15-inch full HD display, which has a WLED panel bright enough to use in any location. To cap it all, this laptop comes with a battery capacity of up to 6 hours for regular laptop tasks.
– Thin and lightweight laptop design.
– A wide selection of ports.
– A battery that lasts up to 6 hours.
– Low storage space.
If you are looking for a budget laptop with some of the best features, then the Lenovo Ideapad L340 will be one of your best takes. Unlike many other Lenovo laptop, you have probably come across; the Lenovo Ideapad L340 packs a powerful AMD Ryzen 3 processor which clocks at a speed of 3.5GHz. This processor comes coupled with an AMD Radeon Vega 3 graphics card for moderate gaming tasks and video editing.
The laptop has 8GB of RAM for efficient multi-tasking and a 256GB solid-state drive that aids speedy transfers and file storage. Its 15.6-inch display might not be the best; however, it comes with a 1920 x 1080 screen resolution that produces good color and brightness.
Asides, the above features, this laptop is well rewarded with ports and faster wireless connection to help boost connectivity. It boasts of a good quality battery able to last up to 7 hours of intensive tasks.
– Good battery life.
– It comes with a comfortable to use Keyboard.
– Laptop with a reasonable budget.
– Non-backlit Keyboard.
– Poor webcam.
One of the best features I found in this laptop is its 15.6 full HD touch screen display that has a panel with anti-glare coating for reducing eye strains. It also boasts of speakers with a Max Audio technology that delivers high-quality sounds. You may not find its RAM space of 4GB large enough; however, it can still help multi-task less intensive software efficiently.
There is also the presence of a full keyboard and a super responsive touchpad for your office productivity tasks. A 128GB SSD of internal drive memory may not be large enough; however, it allows for speedy transfers. On the last note, Dell Inspiron 5593 comes with a well-loaded battery, which can last up to 5 hours.
– It comes with a full keyboard with number keys.
– Good 15-inch display with impressive visuals.
– Delivers quality sound for entertainment.
– Low storage capacity.
If you need an HP laptop with top-end features below the price tag of 400$, then look no further than the HP 14-df0020nr laptop. It is one of the few laptops to feature a full HD display at that price tag. It comes powered with an 8th Gen Intel Core i3 with speed up to 3.9GHz for smooth performance.
Now, I would like to say that the laptop isn’t that excellent for multi-tasking. However, a 4GB of RAM space should run 2-3 software effectively. The same goes for the internal memory, which has a small size of 128GB SSD but supports speedy file transfers.
On a brighter side, the laptop features a comfortable to use, non-backlit Keyboard for typing activity. It offers a decent number of ports to help boost connectivity. On the last note, it comes with a battery capacity that can last up to 5 hours.
– Fast and smooth processor performance.
– Presence of a quite comfortable keyboard.
– Impressive durability.
– A quite glossy screen.
– Little storage capacity.
If you consider buying a budget-type laptop with a thin and light design, then the Lenovo Ideapad 330S will be the best ideal choice. It comes with quality features enough to be tagged as a portable gaming laptop. The presence of a powerful AMD Ryzen 5 processor coupled with an AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics card makes it useful for playing popular gaming titles and perform graphically intensive tasks.
It features a color quality display with a size around 15.6-inches backed by LED-backlit that is color accurate and bright. It comes out of the box with 8GB of RAM storage for efficient multi-tasking work and 128GB SSD for file storage and fast performance. It features all the necessary ports and slots required for the best connectivity.
The presence of a fingerprint sensor on this laptop provides an extra layer of security. When it comes to battery life, this laptop features a decent battery with capacity up to 5 hours.
– Fingerprint sensor for security.
– Efficient speed and performance.
– Thin and light design-build.
– Low storage space.
The Lenovo Flex 14 is a 2-in-1 convertible from the Lenovo flex series with an emphasis on portability. I did recommend this laptop to be effective for use by college students and business-like travelers/ creative professionals. The laptop is powered by an 8th Gen core i3 processor that provides smooth performance for everyday productivity.
It sports a 14-inch display with touchscreen functionality fit for playing touch-based games or watching movies. However, it only features a 4GB RAM storage and 128GB SSD for decent multi-tasking activities, speedy transfers, and storage. For connectivity, this flex laptop features a decent amount of ports like 2 USB 3.1 Type-A, 1 USB 3.1 Type-C, and HDMI ports, along with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless connections.
This laptop uses an integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620 graphics card, which supports impressive visuals. To cap it all the Lenovo Flex 14 comes with battery able to run 8 hours of intensive tasks.
– Fast System performance.
– Comes with an appealing design.
– Long-lasting battery.
– Low-resolution screen.
– Slight throttling sounds from the CPU when in use.
The Dell Inspiron 15 3593 laptop provides all the necessary features needed for everyday computer activity. It is made up of a state of art, durable chassis, as many other Dell laptop series. It is effectively powered by a 10th Gen Intel Core i3 processor for the smooth operation of the Windows OS.
When it comes to display, this Dell laptop has a 15.6 -inch HD LED display with stunning visuals and an accurate color panel. The Keyboard is comfortable to use and allows for good typing experience along with a super-responsive touchpad for smooth navigation. It comes with 8GB of RAM (upgradable to 16GB) for efficient multi-tasking abilities.
I did recommend this kind of laptop for any college student to help enhance productivity. What’s more? This laptop comes with a speedy 128GB SSD internal storage for fast file transfer and storage. The presence of an Intel UHD graphics card also contributes to the laptop’s impressive performance. To cap it all, the laptop features a decent battery with the capacity to last up to 6 hours of intense use.
– A large 15-inch display.
– Upgradable RAM size.
– Super-responsive touchpad.
– The display is quite dim.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Should You Expect In A 400$ Laptop?
This type of laptop is a great option for anyone who needs a basic laptop. This laptop will have a much higher performance than laptops under 300.
1. Processor and GPU: The kind of laptop you could at a budget price of 400$ or less will only feature decent features fit for typical day to day computer tasks. When it comes to the processor, you will be disappointed if you are expecting to get an Intel Processor of core i5 to core i7. The best laptop you could ever get will have a processor no more than a core i3 or AMD processor no higher than AMD 3. Also, some of the best laptops under the price tag of 400$ usually feature an Intel UHD 620 Graphics GPU, which is enough for light gaming activity.
2. Display Resolution: Much sacrifices come in the aspect of screen resolution for budget-type laptops. Many laptops under this category feature a display of 1920 x 1080 pixels but may be quite low in terms of brightness and color quality. Only a few come with a Full HD and touch screen display fit for entertainment, gaming, and creative design.
3. Battery: All of the best laptops below the 400$ price tag comes with a decent quality battery with the least having a capacity to last up to 5 hours of intense use. You could also expect to find laptops with the ability to last between 6-8 hours of intense use.
4. RAM capacity: Laptops for 400 comes with the least RAM capacity of 4GB, which can take you through decent multi-tasking activity and office productivity. Laptops with 8GB of RAM usually cost a hundred or a few more, so check a list of laptops under 500 for more powerful options.
How to choose the best budget laptop?
Making the best choice of a good budget laptop comes with many characteristics you want to explore. The following are things you need to check out for.
1. Check the Brand type: This refers to the manufacturer of the laptop. You might need to do quality research about the brand by considering customer reviews and popularity. The best budget usually comes from brands like ASUS, Acer, HP, and Dell
2. Go through the specifications: consider the features that come with the laptop in terms of the hardware. Check whether it will serve its best use based on what you need it for.
3. Portability: Whether you need a 2-in-1 convertible laptop or one with a thin and light design that will ultimately be up to you. However, you did want to go for a laptop that is quite mobile and can serve your best use anywhere you go.
As much as there are many types of laptops in the market today, getting a budget-type (especially one below 400$) can be quite tedious.
I hope this guide helped you to find your next laptop.