If you click on any link below & decide to buy it, we may earn a small commission.
One can do so much with a laptop, from storing photos, videos, and audio to documents. All this can be done at the user’s convenience, thus making a laptop a perfect alternative for safe and reliable means of storing documents that could be compromised if stored in the traditional ways.
But with ample mass storage of files and documents comes a more significant threat of potential data loss if proper precautions are not implemented.
The need to protect electronic data from malware corruption, virus and hard drive failure that could lead to irreversible data loss prompts the need for Hard drive partitioning. This boosts the laptop’s performance and safeguards crucial data from potential future damages.
Why Is It Important To Partition A Hard Drive?
Disk partitioning is the subdivision of a whole disk into compartmentalized, separately managed divisions. The question is, why go to all this trouble of slicing your hard drive into different units? Is it worth it? Below are some of the reasons why disk partitioning is essential for your laptop.
- It makes the organization of files and documents much easier for the user. One can organize in terms of official, personal and non-consequential.
- Boost the efficiency of performance when you need to access a given document or files
- Allows multitasking on your laptop by allowing multiple running of different systems on your device.
- It’s a more practical and convenient way for data backup and restoration.
- It minimizes data loss problems resulting from virus attacks, power outages, etc.
- Allows encryption of the hard drive subdivisions in case of sensitive information that may pose a security threat.
How To Partition A Hard Drive In Windows 10
Getting your system right and functioning on the go would be the best decision you would make for your laptop. So how do you go about the process of hard drive partitioning on your windows 10 laptop? If you have no clue on how to go about the process of hard drive partitioning on windows 10, the following steps will guide you:
Step1: Right-click on “This PC” and choose to manage.
Step 2: Open the disk management and look for the disks available.
Step 3: Select the disk you want to do a partition on.
Step 4: Right-click on the unpartitioned space at the bottom part of the pane and select the new simple volume.
Step 5: Select the size, enter and click next for the partitioning to be completed.
Can You Lose Or Delete A Partition?
A lot can happen in partitioning a drive or updating a system, leading to the loss of essential files and documents or deleting a partition with all the stored data. We look at some of the scenarios that are a massive contributor to data loss.
- Firmware issues that are not related to the handling of the device but with the manufacturer
- Corrupted partition table
- Malware failure due to external causes
- Hardware failure due to reduced life span
- An inconsistent power supply that may become destructive
- Error in the process of partitioning
- OS upgrade from one window to the next
- Accidental deletion of a partition
How To Recover Lost Data And Partition
Data retrieval can be challenging if the proper recovery tools are not used. Disk Drill by CleverFiles is recovery software that you can use to recover deleted files and restore lost data in various file formats and storage devices. The software can successfully be used to RAW to NTFS without losing data. The following tips can help in the hard drive data recovery and partition.
- Download and install Disk Drill by CleverFiles software from reliable sources.
- Scan for your lost partition on your storage device.
- Click on search for lost data to initiate the scanning process.
- Once the scanning is complete, you will be able to view a list of all recoverable data.
- Select the files or partition you need recovered and click on recover.
- The system will restore the lost files to their former storage location.
With the use of Disk Drill data recovery software, you are guaranteed safe data storage through data backup, secure recovery, and reconstruction of damaged files. You can also use it on more than one storage device from USB drives, hard drives, micro SD cards, and digital cameras, and it is not limited to one type of file format.
You can choose to enjoy the free version of Disk Drill data recovery of up to 500 MB or get a premium version with more features and unlimited data recovery options. It all depends on your software needs.